This medication is also known under the following names in the USA:
Brand names: Adalat CC, Afeditab CR, Nifediac CC, Nifedical XL, Procardia, Procardia XL, Adalat
Generic name: Nifedipine
Brand Medication For Sale - Adalat XL
|Dosage / Strength|
|20 mg||See Prices|
|30 mg||See Prices|
|60 mg||See Prices|
How to order
You can order online from YouDrugstore. We are an online pharmacy based out of Canada. That means when you order from us, you pay the same price that most Canadians pay. All you have to do is register on our website and fill in all of the required information. Then send us your prescription so that our team of licensed pharmacy technicians and physicians can review your order once we have received all of the necessary information. When you order this medicine from YouDrugstore, enjoy our low cost in shipping. We even offer free shipping on any order over $100. Order from YouDrugstore today.
What is Adalat XL (Nifedipine XL)?
Adalat XL is a calcium channel blocker indicated for hypertension. It is also used in the management of angina. Adalat XL is manufactured by Bayer Inc., a multinational pharmaceutical company based in Leverkusen, Germany.
Adalat XL contains nifedipine in its formulation. Acting as a dihydropyridine calcium channel blocker, nifedipine decreases myocardial contractility by inhibiting the transmembrane influx of calcium ions into the cells. At the same time, it dilates systemic arteries and the main coronary. The full antihypertensive and antianginal mechanisms of nifedipine are still not known.
Nifedipine XL is indicated for:
- Chronic stable angina;
- High blood pressure.
Each box contains 28 Adalat XL extended release tablets, which are formulated to gradually release the active ingredient at a constant rate.
- Chronic Stable Angina
- Start with 30mg once daily. Do not take more than 90mg per day.
- High blood pressure
- Start with 20mg to 30mg once daily, then 30mg to 60mg once daily. Do not take more than 90mg per day.
There are 3 different strengths of Adalat XL available (20mg, 30mg and 60mg).
Possible side effects of Adalat XL include:
- Leg cramps
- Back pain
- Joint and muscle pain
- Numbness or hypoesthesia
- General weakness
- Excessive movement of muscle
This is not a complete list of side effects. If you experience any adverse effects, contact a medical practitioner.
Warnings and precautions
See the following sections for more information on special warnings and precautions.
Nifedipine XL is contraindicated in:
- Patients with a hypersensitivity to nifedipine or any other ingredients in the formulation;
- Patients with a hypersensitivity to other dihydropyridines calcium antagonists (there may be a risk of cross-reactivity);
- Patients who have a Kock pouch;
- Patients who are pregnant or breastfeeding;
- Patients with cardiovascular shock and severe hypotension;
- Patients with severe gastrointestinal (GI) obstructive disorders;
- Patients with concurrent use with rifampicin;
- Patients with moderate to severe hepatic impairment.
- Before the treatment, tell your doctor about all the medications and supplements that you take (including over-the-counter products).
- If your blood pressure is too low, your doctor may adjust the dosage or stop the medication.
- Adalat XL may affect your abilities to drive or operate machinery. If you are taking Nifedipine XL, be careful when you carry out these tasks.
- The non-absorbable outer shell of the tablet may be excreted in the feces. Do not be alarmed.
- The safety of the drug in pediatric patients has not been established.
- The drug is known to affect the accuracy of blood test results. Tell your doctor that you are on Adalat XL before performing any blood test.
- To prevent dizziness, rise slowly when you stand up (especially after a dose increment).
- While you are on Nifedipine XL, do not consume grapefruit (or grapefruit juice). Grapefruit is known to interact with the drug.
- Nifedipine may affect male fertility.
- Valproic acid
- Medications that lower blood pressure (e.g. beta blockers)
- Coumarin anticoagulants
- HIV protease inhibitors (e.g. nelfinavir, amprenavir, ritonavir, indinavir or saquinavir)
- Erythromycin or clarithromycin
Apart from the drug-drug interactions listed above, Adalat XL may also interact with grapefruit juice and St John’s Wort. This is not a complete list of possible drug interactions. Refer to the product pamphlet.
How to store it
Keep Adalat XL at controlled room temperature of 15 to 30°C. Avoid exposure to humidity and sunlight. Protect from extreme heat and keep out of reach of children.
How and when to take this drug
Swallow the tablets whole. To ensure a sustained release of the drug, do not crush, chew, bite or divide the tablets.
Use Adalat XL as prescribed. Do not alter the dosage without consulting the doctor.
Usually, the drug is taken once daily in the morning, with or without food. Your doctor may suggest a different schedule.
What if I overdose on Adalat XL?
In you take too much Adalat XL, call a local Poison Control Center immediately, or go to the hospital. It is important to seek medical attention even if there is no overt sign of poisoning.
What if I miss a dose?
If you forget to take Adalat XL, take it as soon as possible. If it is about time for the next dose, skip the missed dose and take the next dose as usual. To prevent overdose, do not make up for the missed dose by taking extra tablets.