Vaginitis, inflammation of and around (vulvovaginitis) the vagina is no beauty contest. There are no winners. But there is a hierarchy of prevalence, however. The numbers 1, 2, and 3 causes of vaginitis, in that order are:
Bacterial vaginosis, a bacterial change in the normal vaginal flora that results in irritating breakdown products of the vagina’s natural sugars.
Yeast vaginitis, a fungus—usually Candida.
Trichomonas, a sexually transmitted disease (STD) that can present with symptoms in both a woman and her partner.
These make up 90% of vaginal irritations, resulting in inflammation, itching, redness, pain, sexual discomfort, and painful urination. The other 10%? They are less common, but not rare:
By this is meant chemicals that are harsh irritants to the vagina. Antifungal creams and suppositories can be too harsh for the delicate vaginal tissue. Vaginal tissue doesn’t have a number of layers of dead cells to buffer them like y ...
This article primarily will center on GU infections of the bladder and kidney. But first, an introductory metaphor to illustrate the issue at hand.
Body Spaces and Stagnant Ponds
Look at any stagnant pond. Covered by green scum and stinky, it is an entirely different ecosystem from what is typical in a flowing, renewing, currents of water. The human body is no different. It doesn’t like standing collections of fluid. When that happens, the conditions become excellent for invaders who seize the opportunity to set up house.
Whether it’s fluid behind the ear drum of a child swimmer, bile stasis from gallstones interfering with drainage, or a consistent puddle of urine from incompletely emptying one’s bladder, one thing is certain: infection will occur. Our bodies are dynamic, and there are repetitive sequences (e.g., heartbeat), feedback loops (e.g., menstruation), and spaces awash with fluids that balance filling with emptying (e.g., the bladder). Anything interf ...